Clemson to hold August graduation ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Friday
CLEMSON — Clemson University will confer more than 1,000 degrees during the summer graduation ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Aug. 9, in Littlejohn Coliseum. Visitors should plan extra time for travel and prepare for metal detectors at each entrance and the enforcement of the clear bag policy as well.
Students from the university’s seven colleges will participate in Friday’s ceremony. A doctoral hooding ceremony for approximately 85 prospective Ph.D. candidates will take place at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, in the Brooks Center for the Performing Arts.
Thursday’s doctoral hooding and Friday’s graduation will be streamed live for those unable to attend.
Allow extra time for travel
Families and guests should plan extra time for travel due to the presence of construction at various parts of the main campus. Please visit the university’s interactive map for up-to-date areas impacted by construction and resulting alternate traffic routes.
Police officers will be directing traffic to help visitors get to the coliseum for the ceremonies. Parking is available in several lots near the coliseum. The lot directly north of Littlejohn is reserved for vehicles with handicap access, while the Avenue of Champions and C-9 parking areas will be reserved for event staff.
All lanes of Highway 93 (Walter T. Cox Boulevard) will be open Friday. Doors open for the event at 7:30 a.m.
University officials and law enforcement have implemented a clear bag policy to ensure the safety and security of all faculty, staff, students and visitors.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, artificial noisemakers, backpacks, non-clear bags or purses, banners/flags/flag poles, coolers, outside food or beverages and weapons of any kind.
Attendees are encouraged not to bring bags, but outlined below is what is permissible to carry in the coliseum:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 by 6 by 12 inches (official Clemson Tigers logo clear plastic tote bags are available at local retail stores) or one-gallon clear plastic storage bags, such as Ziploc brand.
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand (no larger than 4.5 by 6.5 inches), with or without a handle or strap, can be taken into the coliseum but will be subject to inspection.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after inspection.
- Guests will be able to carry cameras and smart phones, but carrying cases will NOT be allowed.
- Strollers will need to be checked upon entry.
- Working media will be able to bring in items needed to perform their jobs, however they will be subject to screening and bag inspections.
Visitors will be asked to remove large metal objects from their pockets prior to walking through the metal detectors entering the coliseum. Shoes, coins, wallets, belts and jewelry will not need to be removed. Please follow instructions from event and security staff to help with the entry process. Guests who either have a relevant medical condition or do not feel comfortable walking through the metal detectors can notify event staff and participate in an alternative screening process.
More information about graduation is available online.