Hanover House features exhibit on how South Carolina’s shape came to be
CLEMSON — As Pickens County kicks off its sesquicentennial celebration, Hanover House at the South Carolina Botanical Garden at Clemson University is featuring an exhibit on how South Carolina came to be shaped the way it is.
“Creating the Carolinas: A Boundary for North and South Carolina” is on loan from the South Carolina Historical Society and will be displayed through the remainder of the year.
The exhibit’s eight panels are placed throughout Hanover House’s two floors, providing insight into the story behind how South Carolina took its shape. It also answers questions about the disputes, politics and science behind the creation of the Palmetto State.
For instance, one of the surveyors involved in the boundary line process was a young William Moultrie, who later become a well-known South Carolinian in the Revolutionary War. In 1772, Moultrie served as the South Carolina commissioner on the survey commission. He kept a journal documenting this process and providing a first-hand account that can help bring history to life for 21st century audience.
Beyond the connection to the current traveling exhibit, William Moultrie is tied into the larger story of Hanover House as well. In December 1749, Moultrie married Elizabeth Damarius de St Julien and their wedding supper was held at Hanover House, which was owned by her first cousin, Mary de St Julien, the future wife of Henry Ravenel. The creation of Lake Moultrie as part of the Santee Cooper Project led to Hanover House being moved to Clemson University’s main campus in 1941 because the lake flooded the area where the house was built in 1716.
The exhibit meets South Carolina social studies standards for third-, fourth- and eighth-graders.
The South Carolina Historical Society will have its June board meeting at the Hayden Conference Center in the Botanical Garden with an afternoon tour of Hanover House following a program by Patrick McMillan, Hilliard Professor of Environmental Sustainability and director of the Garden.
Hanover House is one of the historic house museums run by Clemson University’s Department of Historic Properties. Weekend hours are 10 a.m.-noon and 1-4:30 p.m. Saturday and 2-4:30 p.m. Sunday. For weekday hours, contact Hanover House at 864-656-2241. For more information or scheduling special tours, email email@example.com or call 864-656-2475. To learn more about Hanover House and other historic house museums, follow us on social media and the department’s website: http://www.clemson.edu/about/history/properties/,