Clemson to award summer semester degrees at 9:30 a.m. Friday
LIVESTREAM: 9:30 summer graduation ceremony
CLEMSON — Clemson University will confer approximately 1,000 degrees during the summer graduation ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Friday at Littlejohn Coliseum. Visitors should plan extra time for travel and note the new clear bag policy implemented for graduation.
Students from the university’s seven colleges will participate in Friday’s ceremony. On Thursday, the summer 2018 Doctoral Hooding Ceremony is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Brooks Center for the Performing Arts. There are more than 75 prospective Ph.D. recipients.
EXTRA TIME FOR ARRIVAL
Families and guests should plan extra time for travel. Highway 93 has been closed at Cherry Road due to utility construction.
Drivers should use Perimeter Road, which can be accessed from U.S. 76 (Clemson Boulevard) or the recently opened Newman Road extension, and follow that around the south side of campus to get to Littlejohn Coliseum.
Police officers will be directing traffic to help visitors get to the coliseum for the ceremonies.
Parking is available in lots near the coliseum. The parking lot to the north of Littlejohn is reserved for vehicles with handicap placards.
CLEAR BAG POLICY
Clemson, working with law enforcement officials, will implement a clear bag policy at Friday’s graduation ceremony. It will be in place for all graduation ceremonies moving forward. The policy, consistent with the one put in place for basketball games in Littlejohn Coliseum, prohibits backpacks, artificial noisemakers, bags larger than 12 by 6 by 12 inches and non-clear bags. Attending students, faculty, staff and visitors are encouraged not to bring bags, but outlined below is what is permissible to carry in the coliseum:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 by 6 by 12 inches (Official Clemson Tigers logo clear plastic tote bags are available at local retail stores) or 1-gallon clear plastic storage bags, such as Ziploc brand.
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand (no larger than 4.5 by 6.5 inches), with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the coliseum but will be subject to inspection.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after inspection.
- Guests will be able to carry cameras and smart phones, but carrying cases will NOT be allowed.
- Strollers will need to be checked upon entry.
- Working media will be able to bring in items needed to perform their job duties, however they will be subject to screening and bag inspections.
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: artificial noisemakers, backpacks, non-clear bags or purses, banners/flags/flag poles, coolers, outside food or beverages and weapons of any kind.
In addition to security teams searching bags at Littlejohn entrances, metal detectors will also be stationed at every entrance. University venues across campus are implementing this policy to ensure the safety and security for all faculty, staff, students and visitors.
More information about graduation is available online.