Freeman Hall expansion begins soon
Clemson University will soon begin expanding a building to make room for rapid growth in the industrial engineering department.
Freeman Hall’s addition will include new offices, conference rooms and a 108-seat auditorium. The $10-million project is expected to help attract top talent, while creating room for new faculty and staff as the department expands.
The project will add 21,000 square feet onto Freeman Hall and begins less than a month after the university broke ground on a separate building, the 70,000-square-foot Watt Family Innovation Center.
A two-story section closest to Fernow Street will be demolished to make room for the addition. A third floor will be added to the building. Renovation would not have been cost-effective for the 88-year-old building, university officials said.
The expansion helps make room for the fast-growing online Masters of Engineering in Supply Chain and Logistics program that has been supported by Fluor Corporation.
Freeman Hall construction is expected to last about 15 months and be done in time for the 2015 fall semester.
The building was completed in 1926 and renovated in 1965. It was named for Edwin J. Freeman, who was head of the industrial engineering department from its founding until 1958.
The industrial engineering department includes ergonomics and human factors, operations research, and probability and statistics.
Freeman Hall also houses Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), which supports females in engineering and science majors. It is also home to Programs for Educational Enrichment and Retention (PEER), which is a package of programs that serve student groups underrepresented in math, science and engineering.